Wednesday 2 March 2016

OUGD406: Studio Brief 01 - Secret 7 (Evaluation)

Secret 7 was something entirely new for me, in respects to both the design aspect of this but also the fact that it was a live brief, something I’ve never taken part in before. Competing against others always makes the brief more interesting as it means you have to go the extra mile to ensure your designs stand out and are unique.

Considering that this brief was to design several different vinyl covers, it was mostly aesthetic based design as opposed to any other brief we’ve done up to this point where it’s usually informed by thorough research and design process. Although within some of my designs there was underlying concepts related to the song, they were only really relevant to a song lyric or the theme of the song, no substantial concept.

Originally I set out to create something that was visually appealing and that stands out from other designs and I think I achieved this through the design on the left. The psychedelic nature of it makes for an interesting visual, due to the mixture of bright colours but also the composition itself.


I think if I was to enter Secret 7 again or a similar competition, I would work more on my idea generation rather than picking ideas straight away that I thought would work best and going through with them as this prevents any further, potentially better ideas, being produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment