Monday 4 January 2016

OUGD405: Studio Brief 01 - Wayfinding (Evaluation)

From the final feedback session I received a few pieces of critical feedback in response to my questions asked during the crit.

“Do you think my final resolution (interactive display) realistically would work & would you personally use it?”

‘Good idea bringing it into the modern age. I think the app would have to work across the country to get people using it.’

I agree with this as people may not bother to use it and would rather find their own way around if it’s just implemented into one shopping centre. But if it was to be implemented into all shopping centres around the UK, it would be a more common first port of call when trying to find a shop as it would be an integral part of shopping centres rather than just part of Trinity.

“Is there anything you would have done differently or included on top of my designs?”

‘The route being able to be sent to your phone is a good idea, but what about people who don’t have phones? How do they find their route?’


This is one thing that I didn’t really put much thought into as in this day and age, I took it for granted that everyone would have a phone to use this feature. I think if I was to have done this brief again, I would definitely have considered incorporating more signage into the shopping centre. Those signs consisting of different shop directions from your current location, that way people can follow a route and be confident they’re going the right way by checking the signs along the way.

‘I think the map could have done with maybe more detail since it only contains shop names.’

I agree with this comment as I do think myself reflecting back upon my work that the map was bland and didn’t consist of much aside from the shop names. I think I should have incorporated clear pathways in between the shops so that people wouldn’t have to rely on the map routes to tell them where to go and instead could find their own way if needs be.

General Feedback

‘Although the concept is good, how would the NFC route idea work on people’s phones?’

My idea originally was that by using NFC the data would be sent over to the phone when touched against the screen. But after thinking the idea through more thoroughly, I’ve realised that for the map to work, it would have to send a link to that persons phone, that when opened, opens up a webpage with the map within it. Either that or it would be a standalone app that would be downloaded and then the routes would open up within that when NFC is used.

Overall I think my redesign of Trinity’s wayfinding was successful in the sense that I created a more coherent and clear set of signs that, not only allowed for better legibility from a distance, but also incorporates other bits of useful information such as popular shop names. However I do think that there were areas in which I definitely could have improved such as within the interactive wayfinding display. By this I mean I should have included more detail within the map to ensure that people would fully understand the route they need to take rather than just simply having shop names and no indication of pathways, roads, entrances, exits etc.

Another thing I would have done differently is to have created a wayfinding system that is an integral part of the shopping centre in the same way that the National Rail’s is. For example they have signs everywhere for every possible thing a user could need, nearest toilets, cafes and shops. But more importantly they have signs every 10 metres or so of where to go for a particular platform which is useful so that people don’t become lost on their way. This is something I would have done within Trinity, put up more signs along the different routes to constantly keep people going in the right direction whilst displaying other options of shops etc. if needs be.

No comments:

Post a Comment