Friday 22 January 2016

OUGD405: Studio Brief 02 - Design Process - Information Design (Creating the Envelope)

Having already established the way the paper would crumple when the tab is pulled, meant that I now had to create the envelope itself whilst incorporating the crumpling effect. My aim is to do something similar to what is shown below except with there being two sides to it, with a gap to hold the leaflet.




First Envelope Attempt



Envelope Net Breakdown




Second Envelope Attempt


New Net w/ Size Adjustments







Currently, the leaflet fits into it's holding spot within but with a little bit of space which means it could potentially slip out, but hopefully once I incorporate the stock I plan to use, it will fit in relatively tightly.

Envelope w/ Inside Concertina Fold


Set Dimensions
Fully Extended Concertina Fold
Pulled Back Concertina Fold
Envelope with Leaflet

To get an idea of how the concertina fold would work within the envelope I created a mock up, with the circle representing where the car would be. The tab and the envelope as a whole is somewhat flimsy using printer paper, but next I will experiment with a higher gsm stock so that it holds its shape.


New Dimensions for Print



Test Black & White Print


Given that the test print was on very thin printer paper when I scored it to mark each fold, it cut straight through several times which made for a tacky looking mockup, but this shouldn't be a problem when I used higher gsm stock for my final piece.



Pulling back tab to reveal inside message
Final Envelope Print on 170GSM Stock





Aside from having to insert a tab to pull back and forth the concertina fold, the envelope at this stage is almost done.

Testing out Leaflet within Envelope




The test print pointed out something I would have missed had I just gone straight to the final print and that's that after printing and folding it, only then did I realise that the front page with the warning message on was at the wrong angle. This is something I will need to change for my final print.

No comments:

Post a Comment