Thursday 18 February 2016

OUGD406: Studio Brief 01 - Secret 7 (Further Ideas)

One of my ideas that I followed up on was the one about how the blood vessels contract when stressed, which can often be a by-product of worrying. And so after research into this, the technical term for this that cropped up was vascoconstriction which is 'the narrowing of the blood vessels resulting from contraction of the muscular wall of the vessels, in particular the large arteries and small arterioles.'

An image was given as an example:


Vasoconstriction of a microvessel by pericytes and endothelial cells that encircle anerythrocyte (E).


This in turn give me inspiration for my first conceptual idea.


First Idea

Drawing a rough sketch of this whilst incorporating the textures and patterns that had previously inspired me, as shown on my first blog post, combined together to make for an interesting yet ambiguous visual.

Another idea I had that linked in with my first one was a slightly less magnified version of the whole blood vessels being constricted. One that showed a more overall view of the process, where the muscles expanded to constrict the blood vessels.





Rough Ideas
Inspiration for Idea Two




Katie Scott does a lot of anatomy based pointillism pieces, including the album covers done for Bombay Bicycle Club. This style of work is very similar to what I'm aiming to do with this current idea.

Idea Two (Rough)
Part way through
Finished Rough Drawing
Although none of my ideas up until now are done and final, the drawings have at least given me a good idea of where I want to go with them composition wise.

My third idea was completely different to the first two and instead was based more around the feeling of being worried, mental and emotional effects as opposed to physical. In some cases worrying can lead to isolation of both the person and their mind. They can isolate themselves from people but also become narrow minded in the way that they think, focusing on only their worry(s).

Idea Three

The main concept behind this idea was that it was a rough sketch of a never ending, narrow passage way. The sketchiness of the lines is representative of the uncertainty that often comes with worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment