Tuesday 10 April 2018

Brief 3: Evaluation

This external collaboration was potentially one of the most challenging but rewarding briefs I completed this year. Working with someone other than a graphic designer or illustrator brings a whole different skillset and often approach to working on briefs. Hilda initially stated she wanted something representative of her style (not just her work and for it to be responsive to fit in any given environment. I feel the end result achieved this with a simple concept that runs throughout her visual identity.

Working both in both digital and physical formats mixes up the process a little, which keeps things interesting plus develops my multidisciplinary skillset. Sourcing a manufacturers to produce letterpress plates for Hilda’s business cards was a new interaction for me, giving me confidence in outsourcing products for projects. During the physical printing process, I received advice from multiple traditional print tutors on how to letterpress, mix inks etc. To ensure the highest quality print, we experimented with different presses.

The skills I’ve taken on from this brief will be useful in future should the situation arise for either myself or a client. Having to manage my time to fit around print slots, opening hours of the print room and both of mine and Hilda’s varied schedules was complex but I feel we succeeded in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment