Tuesday 16 May 2017

Creating the cocoon

The whole process of visualising the cocoon began with a couple of rough sketches that of how I roughly wanted it to be, knowing it would be based off of the shape of a circle gave me a good idea how to begin creating it.

I had two thoughts on how I could visualise the chair; illustrate it in a similar way to IKEA already do with their instruction manuals or to create a 3D chair in software such as Cinema 4D.

IKEA's instruction manual style

I quickly decided that given my past experience with Cinema 4D, I felt I could be confident enough to create a 3D mockup of the chair which would give me the options of plenty of different angles, textures and lights on demand. Creating an environment in Cinema 4D could help put into context the chair into a typical studio so that it would fit in with the same style of IKEA's already existing products in their catalogue.



It took some time to get used to Cinema 4D again but once I got into the swing of things it become much easier to progress quickly.








Most of the process was relatively easy, combining shapes to create the look I wanted. By using a few different tutorials I was able to find out how to make certain things such as the pillows to add to chair.

Adding textures to the chair was a tedious task, having to find ones that complimented each other whilst retaining the sleek look I was going for. I decided on a deep, dark brown for the colour of the wood as this was something I wanted to appear inviting and warm and to me a dark, natural colour of wood works perfectly especially considering it keeps in fitting with my brand colours. I went with soft white cloth texture for the pillows and similar soft light colour for the cover of the cocoon to create a welcoming, calm look.

No comments:

Post a Comment