Monday 15 May 2017

The beginning of a brand

Now that I have a base of how I imagine I would create this product, I need to now put a focus on the branding of it and how I aim to spread the idea of both the underlying reason for creating this and the actual product itself.

Although I am creating a product as a response to the brief, proposed as a way of reducing stress, the main overarching idea is to promote taking a step back from the busy working environment and mindset to ensure you don't burnout. But also to promote treating your mind the same way you would your body, for example with exercise, putting that physical strain on your body, you need time to rest, to recover, to recuperate and so the same needs to be applied to the mind. I think that people forget sometimes that we put a lot of physical strain on our minds day in day out and believe that if we aren't spending time doing work, we aren't being productive or that it's a waste of time, when in actual fact we need to have time out of the day to recharge and reset our minds so we don't burnout and crash and ultimately become more stressed.

This is what I believe this brand and the product can promote, especially within universities, to give the students chance to have an effortless and quick time to themselves to help benefit them both short and long term. In the same way that exercise is promoted for health and well being, I think that promoting taking time to yourself to let your mind recover is key for maintaining productivity, restoring alertness and keeping levels of stress low is key.

Something that I believe is a good solution to the already existing problem of stress is Headspace; it's an app that promotes having 10 minutes out a day to meditate so that you reap the benefits of having a more clear, well maintained mind. The branding and campaign material for this app has been done extremely well, it feels well rounded and very concise to inform people about the app and what it can potentially do for you. 


It has a neutral tone to it that doesn't force the creator's ideology upon you but instead promotes the app through solid, factual evidence whilst making it clear enough for the audience to understand and get to grips with what the app is for. The brand makes use of bold, inviting colours couple with simple illustrations that create an attractive face for the app that appeals to a wide audience. 

There are other examples of meditation apps such as Calm that also another good example of promoting mindfulness. 



Having used both of these apps already I've gotten to grips with the attitude and promotional material that they use to promote their brand, it's not forceful in any way but instead uses a neutral, calm tone to suggest using their app. This is something I think I could adapt and use for my brand, as people are often more receptive to a suggestive tone of voice as opposed to an imposing one.

The Brand


Brand's Values

Establishing values of the brand is key in helping me to better understand the purpose of it, whilst also giving me a better idea of how to visually represent the brand. I think that the company's values should be portrayed through it's branding. Take Headspace for example, they promote mindfulness and clarity which is evident in their simple orange dot logo accompanied by a soft clean typeface.




My chosen values help to reflect the underlying ideology of taking a step back and having some time to let your mind rest during the day to help benefit the individual both short and long term. Along with this comes relaxation, comfort, clarity amongst other values that underpin my brand as they represent my whole aim of the product.

Aims

- To promote taking time out of your day for the benefit of the mind
- Inform people of the benefits of treating your mind the same as your body
- Create a place of social solitude for people to have time away from the busy working environment

Moving forward I need to take into consideration colour and typography to help visualise my values into something substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment