Thursday 18 May 2017

End of Module Self Evaluation

This module was something that I considered to be very challenging to begin with, having the daunting task of using a traditional print method to produce work and also having to design for a big issue. More hands on traditional print is something I’ve never really properly experienced until first year where we had a similar brief to Studio Brief 1 of this module; producing a traditionally printed bank note. Although I did complete that brief to a good enough standard, screen printing was still something I considered to be daunting and arduous. But getting to grips with the screen printing process and facilities through the studio brief 1 project has allowed me to become very confident with it up to a point of where I was then able to help out others who weren’t too confident with it. I was extremely happy with my outcome for studio brief 1 as my design ended up better than I could have imagined to begin with but also because I managed to screen print it to a high standard.

Studio brief 2 was tricky to begin with also, finding a relevant issue and having to design something as a resolution for that I felt was a big task, almost like there was some form of responsibility to produce something really considered in response. The process as a whole helped me to better understand my issue of stress along with other things. Included within that was Cinema 4D, using the programme to visualise my final product meant I got to grips with elements such as textures, lighting and composition. All of which will come in handy in the future. Overall I feel that the product itself was well produced visually and was well considered in response to the brief but my distribution outcomes could have been expanded upon. My outcomes were limited to the catalogue as a form of distribution, but I missed the perfect opportunity to display this on their website also, mocking it up as though it was a product within their range.


I personally feel like my time could have been better managed with this module. I say this because I have a tendency to put all my efforts into one brief at one time and so trying to work on multiple projects at once such as CoP, PPP and 505 proved to be a bit of a challenge. But it is something I’m slowly getting better with, even with the two separate briefs within 505 I felt I did a good job of managing my time to allow for traditionally printing my poster and also preparing for my presentation pitch. Overall, this has probably been the more enjoyable module simply because of how much I’ve learnt within the process of doing it working on both physical and digital means of design. But also because of how I’ve learned to really appreciate the process and not focus too much on the final outcome looking aesthetically pleasing, as I would maybe have done within first year. I think that designing for an issue really gives your work some value and meaning over maybe a branding piece for example, as it’s an opportunity to hopefully have an meaningful impact on the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment