Friday 8 April 2016

OUGD406: Studio Brief 02 - Licence to Print Money (Music Based Design Concept)



Given that I'd already established that intaglio printing looks much like the grooves on a vinyl, I thought that I could go down a music themed route given music is understood and appreciated universally.

Having a landmark on one side of a banknote is a common thing, the same as having a person of significance on one side is.




So I thought that I could potentially combine the important landmarks of the respective country and also this underlying theme of music. Essentially in a similar way to which this design has blended the sound waves of the instrument into the landscape.





Rough Sketch of Idea





Another Rough Sketch of Idea



Following on from my current designs, I took inspiration from this hand cut out piece that consists of layers of paper to create a 3D piece. With this in mind I figured my designs could potentially work using the same medium.


Sketch of potential paper cut idea



This sparked an idea to have a piece of stock with a design cutout of it which would then be layered on top of a screen or monoprinted design underneath.



Something else I had in mind was potentially have different textures/patterns on several sheets with certain parts of each cut out to ultimately layer up the textures to create an interesting visual.



Soundwaves of 'Big Ben' being spoken
I replicated the soundwaves the best I could whilst at the same time, trying to make it less complex as if I was to exactly replicate the waves and then go on to screen print these, it could be problematic due to the screen's holes only being able to handle so much detail within a print.


Trying to merge some aspects of these designs together resulted in the idea above except with the underlying concept of the soundwaves being 'Big Ben' spoken outloud. Much rather than just a picture of a landmark or face, by basing it around the spoken soundwaves it linked it in with the initial idea of having a music based bank note.

No comments:

Post a Comment